[Lingtyp] Fwd: Re: Empirical standards in typology: incentives

Dorothee Beermann dorothee.beermann at ntnu.no
Sun Mar 25 14:51:26 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I have followed the discussion on this thread with interest. Let me ask
you, would any of what you discuss and suggest here also apply to
Interlinear Glossed Data?

Sebastian talked about making  "typological research more replicable". A
related issue is reproducible research in linguists. I guess a good
starting point for whatever we do as linguists is to keep things

transparent, and to give public access to data collections. Especially
for languages with little to no public resources (except for what one
finds in articles), this seems essential.

Here is an example of what I have in mind:  We just released 41
Interlinear Glossed Texts in Akan. The data can be downloaded as XML from:

https://typecraft.org/tc2wiki/The_TypeCraft_Akan_Corpus

The corpus is described on the download page, and also in the notes
contained in the download. (Note that we can offer the material in
several other formats.)

Dorothee

Professor Dorothee Beermann, PhD
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Dept. of Language and Literature
Surface mail to: NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway/Norge

Visit: Building 4, level 5, room 4512, Dragvoll,
E-mail:  dorothee.beermann at ntnu.no

Homepage:http://www.ntnu.no/ansatte/dorothee.beermann
TypeCraft:http://typecraft.org/tc2wiki/User:Dorothee_Beermann