[Lingtyp] Fwd: Re: Empirical standards in typology: incentives

Johann-Mattis List list at shh.mpg.de
Sun Mar 25 15:35:23 UTC 2018

Dear Dorothee,

as one of the members of the CLDF initiative, which Robert Forkel, our
chief researcher on that, introduced in another thread, as he didn't
have access to the list before and could not directly answer, we are
planning to extend our machine- and human-readable standards further in
the future to also address inter-linear-glossed texts. We already cover
parallel texts, as you can see from our draft proposal online at
http://cldf.clld.org. We're very keen on discussing this further with
the community. We ourselves are strong on wordlists and grammatical
feature datasets, as you know from the numerous CLLD applications (like
WALS, etc.), but we hope a lot on a broader discussion on how to
integrate further cross-linguistic data types.

We launched several calls to different lists, asking for our colleagues
in diversity linguistics to attend and share their opinions (we do this
via GitHub, so making an account is required, but it's easy to use and
free of charge).

Here's our call on linguist list, FYI (launched by Harald Hammarström):

* https://linguistlist.org/issues/29/29-1295.html

I hope that as many of you who are interested in this will join the
discussion. We can't have another decade of articles where the big bulk
of the data is not shared openly, nor can we afford for our community to
put more and more largely incomparable datasets out there. CLDF is an
attempt to propose concrete solutions for several of these issues, but
we can't do without the community, and we don't have the intention to do
it without it.

Best,

Mattis

--
Dr. Johann-Mattis List
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History