[Lingtyp] Relativization

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Mon Mar 26 13:56:54 UTC 2018

I wouldn't say that the Koyra Chiini form is "arguably" a relative
pronoun, because it's a question of definition, not of argumentation.
(People sometimes say that they "disagree" with terminological choices,
but I think the verbs "adopt" or "reject" are better suited when it
comes to talking about other people's terminological choices.)

As Matthew noted earlier, in the WALS chapter by Comrie & Kuteva, the
"relative pronoun strategy" is clearly defined as one involving an
element that can be flagged for its syntactic role (" a clause-initial
pronominal element [which] is case-marked (by case or by an adposition)
to indicate the role of the head noun within the relative clause",
http://wals.info/chapter/122).

Likewise, in the APiCS chapter by Michaelis et al., "a relative-clause
marker is regarded as a relative pronoun if it has different subject and
object forms ..., or if it can be combined with an adposition"
(http://apics-online.info/parameters/92.chapter.html).

Because of these authoritative uses, I would reject (but not argue
against) a terminological use (in typology) according to which relative
pronouns are said to include relativizers that vary for ("pronominal")
features like gender and/or number but do not indicate syntactic role.
(And if there were an "IPA of morphosyntax", as suggested here
<https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1000>, it should have the same meaning as in
the WALS and APiCS chapters.)

Thus, from a typological point of view, the relativizers of Koyra Chiini
and Coast Tsimshian are clearly relative pronouns.

Martin

On 26.03.18 15:27, Dryer, Matthew wrote:

> In Koyra Chiini (Heath 1999: 192), the relative word is arguably a
> relative pronoun since it can occur with a postposition.
>
> Coast Tsimshian has a construction which could be analysed as
> involving a relative pronoun in that relative clauses are marked with
> a word that varies for the grammatical relation of the head in the
> relative clause, /gu/ if it is the A,/in/ if it is the S or P (Mulder
> 1994: 142).
>
> Heath, Jeffrey. (1999) /A grammar of Koyra Chiini: The Songhay of
> Timbuktu/. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
>
> Mulder, Jean Gail. (1994) /Ergativity in Coast Tsimshian (Sm'algyax)/.
> Berkeley: University of California Press.
>
> Matthew
>
> From: Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org
> <mailto:lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org>> on behalf of
> Bernard Comrie <comrie at linguistics.ucsb.edu
> <mailto:comrie at linguistics.ucsb.edu>>
> Date: Monday, March 26, 2018 at 3:40 AM
> To: "lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org
> <mailto:lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>"
> <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org
> <mailto:lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>>
> Subject: Re: [Lingtyp] Relativization
>
> Dear Jeff:
>
> Some thoughts on your post.
>
> The chapters in WALS are necessarily very brief, so often it will be
> necessary to look at other literature.
>
> As many people have noted, including me back in an early publication
> on European-type relative clauses (Comrie 1998: 79), the European-type
> relative clause has recently (e.g. through colonialism) spread through
> contact to languages outside Europe. These are of course not
> independent instances of the development of this kind of relative clause.
>
> I went into somewhat more detail on possible independent candidates
> for European-type relative clauses in Comrie (2006). If you compare
> this article with WALS, please note that the publication details are
> misleading; some points discussed in the 2006 article that came up
> during preparatory work on WALS did not find their way into the final
> version of WALS.
>
> Regarding your specific question on Acoma: I'll need to check, as I
> don't have the relevant data immediately to hand.
>
> Best,
>
> Bernard
>
> References
>
> Comrie, B. 1998. Rethinking the typology of relative clauses.
> /Language Design/ 1: 59-86.
>
> Comrie, B. 2006. Syntactic typology: just how exotic ARE European-type
> relative clauses? In Ricardo Mairal and Juana Gil (eds.): /Linguistic
> Universals/, 130-154. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
>

> On 2018/3/18 17:26, Jeff Siegel wrote:
>>
>> Greetings:
>>
>> In the description of relativization in WALS (features 122A and
>> 123A), the relative pronoun strategy is shown to stand out "as being
>> typically European since it is not found in Indo-European languages
>> spoken outside Europe, and is exceptional more generally outside
> [...]

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University