[Lingtyp] Narrative relative clauses

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Wed May 9 21:40:24 UTC 2018

Dear Juergen,
I am not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but among
Nakh-Daghestanian languages, at least in Aghul (Lezgic) headless
participial clauses can be used for encoding temporal precedence. Here are
two examples, both with the perfective participle (NMLZ is the
nominalization marker, absolutive singular).

(1) [*dad qaj.i-f*],  šünükː-ar  sekin  x.u-ne.
father return.PFV(PTCP)-NMLZ  child-PL  quiet  become.PFV-AOR
'As soon as father came, children became quiet.'

(2) aχpːa  fi  q’.a-j-e  mi,
then  what  do.IPFV-CONV-COP  this(ERG)
[*nac’.u-ʕ-di  š.u-f*],
river-INTER-LAT  go.PFV(PTCP)-NMLZ
fatːarx.a-j-e  gada  hage  nac’.u-ʕ-di.
fall.down.IPFV-CONV-COP  son  that  river-INTER-LAT
'When what she does... after she approached the river, she drops her baby
into the river.'

Participial clauses are also the main type of relative clauses in these
languages (e.g. 'a boy who went away' will be expressed as 'go.PFV(PTCP)
boy'). The 'converbial' ('narrative') use of participial clauses is not
very common, though: it is more usual to use converbs proper for this
function. Similar use of participles is also mentioned for Bagwalal (Andic)
by Kibrik et al. (2001: 508-509). In Bagwalal, however, there is an
additional marker on the participle in the 'converbial' function.
Unfortunately, there have been no in-depth studies of these constructions,
as far as I know.

Best,
Timur Maisak
http://iling-ran.ru/main/scholars/maisak_en