[Lingtyp] Narrative relative clauses

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 02:32:38 UTC 2018

Dear Philippe and Juergen,

I will first quickly respond about the examples in the last email, based on
whether or not there is an adverbial making the relationship explicit. I
see no difference in acceptability at all. But it does seem to flow more
naturally with the adverb there. It's not a problem to leave that implicit,
but certainly makes sense to add it. So I agree with the point of the
argument although those minimal pairs do not demonstrate it as a contrast
in acceptability per se.

More generally, this discussion has made me think of a related phenomenon,
sort of from the opposite perspective.

My research focuses on pseudocoordination, especially of the verb-and-verb
type like English "go and get" or "try and do". In these cases we see a
subordinate-type relationship developing out of an apparently coordinated
structure. Diachronically we can define this as the word AND
grammaticalizing with new functions, beyond just normal coordination.

Although it is not the focus of my research and seems relatively rare
cross-linguistically, there are attested examples where AND grammaticalizes
as a relative clause marker. I briefly mentioned this type based on an
example from Fijian in a conference handout here, in the context of a
typology of pseudocoordination:
http://publish.illinois.edu/djross3/files/2014/05/Ross2014_Lisbon.pdf
(See page 4, column 1 for the Fijian example and references, also mentioned
on page 6 in the list of pseudocoordination types. Unfortunately this
discussion was removed from the published paper due to limited space.)

Old High Fijian (Milner 1956: 35, cf. Dixon 1988: 252)
na waqa ka yali mai a koro
the boat and missing from the village
'the boat which was missing from the village'

In Páez, relative clauses are formed as coordinate clauses, but the
particular conjunction varies based on the switch-reference system (Slocum
1986:145).

In Kenyang, nɛ́ is multifunctional morpheme that is used as a coordinator,
relativizer and other (Tabe & Atindogbé 2017:104-5). (For the same marker
as a clausal coordinator see for example Seguin 1998:58.)

In Degema, the relative linker is nụ́, which differs from the nominal
coordinating conjunction nụ only in tone (Kari 1997:52-3), so I wonder
about a diachronic connection. In Hausa, the comitative dà which is used
for nominal coordination is also used to mark relative clauses (Newman
2000:532).

These are only a few examples I've collected that suggest a (rare)
cross-linguistic grammaticalization path, which in turn may suggest a
functional relationship between coordination and relativization in terms of
information structure for example. Juergen's comments at the beginning of
this discussion (and the various replies) seem to be the relevant other
side of this relationship.

There are also instances where the grammaticalization is not complete and
the reading seems to be pragmatic, based on a coordinate construction. One
particularly clear example is described for !Xun by Heine & König (2013, in
the Khoesan languages volume), where the conjunction *tè 'and' "is by far
the most frequently used conjunction ... and the one expressing the widest
range of funcutions. In addition to marking consecutive (and simultaneous)
events, it may also signal subordinate functions such as introducing
temporal, adversative, reason, manner and other clauses .... In some uses,
*té may even express the notion of a relative clause...":

Mā kē cŋ́ dāʼbā tà yà tci.
1SG PAST see child and N1 come
'I saw a child who is coming.'

I have seen other similar examples elsewhere but don't have them available
at the moment. (I would of course be interested in references to similar
examples if anyone is aware of them, or feel free to email me if you'd like
to discuss pseudocoordination in general and compare notes about the
extensive bibliography I've collected or suggest new references for me.)

Juergen, regarding your original question in general, I'm wondering if you
are asking about a grammatical or pragmatic distinction (or both/either).
Do you expect to find different grammatical encoding for these functions? I
don't really see that for English, and then for another language where this
is such a distinction, I wonder if the new type you're asking about would
be considered a "relative clause" in the traditional sense. But as a
pragmatic reading for relative clauses, I imagine this would be quite
widespread, and then like pseudocoordination there might be a next step
(e.g., 'pseudorelativization' in a parallel sense) where it is no longer
relativization at all. (The term "pseudosubordination" is sometimes used
for, e.g., clause-chaining constructions that have coordinate readings, the
inverse of pseudocoordination where formally coordinated clauses have
subordinate readings. All of these interesting represent intersecting paths
of grammaticalization, potentially even going back and forth if given
enough time, rather than the often proposed unidirectional paths for
certain constructions.)

Thank you for an interesting discussion!

Daniel Ross
PhD Candidate
University of Illinois