[Lingtyp] Narrative relative clauses

Philippe Bourdin pbourdin at yorku.ca
Thu May 10 00:24:10 UTC 2018

Dear Juergen,

To stick to English and to paraphrase you, it seems to me that when the
antecedent is a participant of the matrix event, there are a couple of
routinized lexical devices specialized in making the event relation
explicit:

(1a) /Sally gave the cup to Floyd, who proceeded //to smash it to pieces. /

(1b) /Sally gave the cup to Floyd, who went on //to smash it to pieces. /

Intuitively, what's distinctive about such devices is that they seem to
have a very special affinity with this type of relative clause — a
property that run-of-the-mill adverbs such as /immediately/ or /then/
may not have, at least not to the same extent.

Let me pursue the same thread a little bit. I'm not a native speaker of
English, but my sense is that there may well be a slight difference in
acceptability between (2a) and (2b) and between (3a) and (3b):

(2a) /Sally gave the cup to Floyd. He then proceeded //to smash it to
pieces.
/

(2b)   (?) /Sally gave the cup to Floyd. He proceeded //to smash it to
pieces.
/

(3a) /Sally gave the cup to Floyd. He then went on //to smash it to pieces.
/

(3b)   (?) /Sally gave the cup to Floyd. He went on //to smash it to
pieces. /

It's as if, to borrow Anna's term, the relative pronoun in (1a) and (1b)
exerted all by itself sufficient cohesive force to license /proceeded/
and /went on/. When you change the hypotactic relation into a paratactic
one, it might be a bit more natural to insert a cohesive prop, i.e.
/then/ (or /immediately/). But that's a just a hunch and I stand to be
corrected by native speakers as to the difference in acceptability,
which is admittedly very slight.

In any event, if /proceed /and /go on /do have the function I'm
attributing to them, this would nicely bring symmetry into the system
you propose, at least for English.

Best,

Philippe

---