[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Mark Donohue mark at donohue.cc
Thu May 31 21:49:01 UTC 2018

Hi David,

After posting I thought of that use of ta(a)u.
It's not quite analogous.
The Tukang Best dahani _can_ be associated with a lengthened syllable when
being used negatively (data:ni), but not when used in it's 'normal' sense.
In both cases you hear LHL over the three syllables; the marked negative
use _can_ be phonologically marked, but doesn't have to be,
but,
I do think (straining memory) that when the lengthened syllable is not
heard, there's an almost inevitable use of the raised eyebrows/headtilt
strategy that I described in my grammar (
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=0RW0uSfFMzYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false,
page 450+).
Note, if we're going paralinguistic here, that this same
eyebrows+headtilt+nose-flare strategy is a valid means of responding both
'yes' and 'no'.