[Lingtyp] animacy hierarchy: exceptions based on shape

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Tue Nov 27 10:57:41 UTC 2018

> David's question would then be: Are there languages that put nouns or
> nominal referents in a human-core class based on their human-like shape?

what would a purely geometrically defined "human-like shape" be?

Something like

\Ö/

/ \

?

If this is the case, would we expect starfish or ginger roots to pattern
with nouns for persons because their shape is not too different?

It would seem that "(potentially) having a soul" would be more important
than geometrical "humanoid" shape.

Having a divergent shape (missing limbs, obesity, immateriality
[divinities]) should not have an influence on the patterning (my guess),
whereas the absence of an /anima/ (e.g. ginger) probably means that we
do not see patterning of the relevant nouns together with the nouns for
"person" etc.

Best wishes
Sebastian