[Lingtyp] animacy hierarchy: exceptions based on shape

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Nov 27 09:51:03 UTC 2018

It seems that David's question is not really about "exceptions to the
animacy scale" – because the scale itself implies no claim. There are
various claims about grammatical coding that reference a scale such as
"human > (non-human) animal > inanimate", especially with regard to
plural marking, object flagging, and indexing (subject, object, and others).

But Japanese iru vs. aru, or English she/he vs. it, has nothing to do
with this scale – these are contrasting forms whose occurrence depends
on a subclassification of nouns or nominal referents, i.e. they fall in
the domain of nominal classification (or nomification).

It seems that "exceptions" become relevant because there is a general
feeling that humanness (or animacy, i.e. human + nonhuman animal) is THE
decisive factor in many cases (whether in animacy-scale effects or in
nomification patters). But this is itself a claim which may not be
correct. In Dravidian linguistics, there is a tradition of
distinguishing a class of "rational" nouns or referents (thus explicitly
including personified nonhumans), so maybe the treatment of humans and
higher animals in these languages is just an effect of their rational
nature.

Maybe for typological purposes, one could set up a notion of a
"human-core class", i.e. a class of forms that contains all typical
humans, and then ask for each language which other kinds of nouns or
nominal referents a language puts in a human-core class if it has one
(and also which kinds of atypical human referents it does not put in
that class).

David's question would then be: Are there languages that put nouns or
nominal referents in a human-core class based on their human-like shape?
(though one would have to be careful to distinguish between shape and
other human-like properties, e.g. active behaviour in the case of
robots, and passive behaviour in the case of dolls)

Martin

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University