[Lingtyp] animacy hierarchy: exceptions based on shape

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Tue Nov 27 09:56:34 UTC 2018

Ancient Greek and Sanskrit made a difference with reference to the same ‘substantia’ according to whether it was thought of as animate (mostly a divinity) or as inanimate. Cp. Lat. ignis, Skt. Agnih  (masc.) vs.  Gk. pyr (ntr.); Gk. Oneiros “Dream”(masc.) vs. onar “sleep” (ntr), etc.

Paolo

Prof.Paolo Ramat
Università di Pavia (retired)
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia, retired)
Societas Linguist. Europ., Honorary Member
Academia Europaea

Piazzetta Arduino 11
I – 27100 Pavia
##39 347 044 98 44 (port.)