[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Oct 1 16:07:26 UTC 2018

Johanna,

I'm not "determining ages of languages".  I'm studying contemporary
languages and making inferences from them with respect to languages in
the distant past, without any commitment to specific ages.

More specifically, I'm arguing, based on contemporary patterns of
cross-linguistic variation, that human language didn't undergo a single
quantum leap from nothing at all to systems like those of, say,
Sanskrit, Greek, Latin and English, but rather passed though at least
one way station of intermediate complexity, in which it bore a closer
resemblance to contemporary small-polity langauges such as, say,
Ju|'hoan, Tikuna, Mentawai and Marind (to list just 4 such languages
that I've conducted the experiment on).  But I have nothing to say about
whether the development of that particular intermediate stage took place
20 thousand or 2 million years ago.

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de