[Lingtyp] query: "blue"/"green" and dialectal variation in English

Heath Jeffrey schweinehaxen at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 7 22:12:54 UTC 2019

In 1972 I did a forced-choice experiment with a Choctaw speaker in Mississippi to elicit terms in the blue-green spectrum. To avoid any possibility of English interference, I presented colored cut-outs (I couldn't afford Munsell chips).

My informant looked at the cut-outs, and called out to his wife who was in the kitchen: "Mable, what do we call 'green'?"