[Lingtyp] Job: Researcher in Computational Methods for Linguistic Diversity at the Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University (deadline May 24 2019)

Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm tamm at ling.su.se
Fri Apr 26 18:10:04 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to the following position at the Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE FURTHER!

Researcher in Computational Methods for Linguistic Diversity at the Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University

The Department of Linguistics, the Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism, and the Department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkish Studies are looking to strengthen our research in Linguistic Diversity, recently funded as a future research area at the Faculty of Humanities. As a first step, we are now hiring a researcher experienced in computational methods applicable to linguistic research. The researcher will be based at the Department of Linguistics, which coordinates the Linguistic Diversity future research area.

Project description
The goal of the Linguistic Diversity future research area is to create a collaboration focusing on language documentation and systematic cross-linguistic study of structural patterns and diversity in the world’s languages as distributed in space and time. We investigate how these patterns emerge and spread and how they are embedded in the larger cultural and ecological context of speakers and their communities. We are also concerned with broader questions related to determinants and effects of linguistic diversity such as universal vs. modality specific constraints on language, implications of linguistic diversity for linguistic theories, the relationship between linguistic diversity and cognitive processes, etc. We intend to strengthen our capacity for experimental, quantitative and computational methods and thereby enhance a further consolidation of the group.

Main responsibilities
The researcher is expected to work in collaboration with the participating departments, and to help launch new projects in the field of linguistic diversity that would benefit from the researcher's specialized skills. For projects involving neuroimaging, the researcher may also want to cooperate with the recently opened Stockholm Brain Imaging Center (SUBIC), managed by the Department of Linguistics.

Qualification requirements
Researchers are appointed primarily for purposes of research and must hold a Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country.

Deadline: May 24 2019

For further details see

https://www.su.se/english/about/working-at-su/jobs?rmpage=job&rmjob=8987&rmlang=UK

Best regards,
Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm

Prof. Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm university, 106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
tel.: +46-8-16 26 20 (office)
www.ling.su.se/tamm<http://www.ling.su.se/tamm>
tamm at ling.su.se