[Lingtyp] Topic and focus markers with other functions

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Sat Aug 3 15:39:02 UTC 2019

I should have read my own post before clicking “send” ;-) Edits:

> But the telic prefixes don’t express object definiteness because their use isn’t restricted to VPs with telic objects.

I meant of course _VPs with definite objects_.

> (but the important point for me is that the property of having consumed one beer is already built into (and backgrounded by) the question under discussion,

That was supposed to be _having consumed exactly one beer_.

Best — Juergen

Juergen Bohnemeyer, Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Linguistics and Center for Cognitive Science
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus * Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825 * Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu * Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours M 12:30 – 1:30pm / W 1:00 – 1:50 / F 12:30 – 1:50pm

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In (Leonard Cohen)