[Lingtyp] Fwd: Is written language a separate modality?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jan 2 08:19:34 UTC 2019

Ian,

My response would be that a deaf person who knows how to read and write
in an oral language DOES "know" that language, to a very considerable
extent.  What you know when you know a language is an abstract system of
rules that underlies both speech and writing but exists independently of
both of these manifestations of language.  Granted, a deaf person who
can read and write an oral language will be missing out on more
substantial aspects of the language (most of the phonetics and
phonology) than a hearing but illiterate person. But still, a deaf
person who can read and write Indonesian cannot but know lots of the
language, rather like a contemporary hearing scholar of Ancient
Sumerian.  In contrast, a deaf signer of ASL does not have his or her
linguistic competence anchored in any spoken language, such as English —
sign languages are not parasitic on or derivative from any spoken
languages. (Though there can be all kinds of contact between signed and
spoken languages, but that's a separate issue.)

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de