[Lingtyp] PUT=LET GO: An areal feature?

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 10:22:26 UTC 2019

It is the case in Japhug, where the verb *ta *means both "put" and "leave,
let go, release", see the Japhug-Chinese-French dictionary, p.316:

https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01244860v2/document

with sound files:
http://himalco.huma-num.fr/dictionaries/japhug/dictionary_mp3.pdf

Jacques, Guillaume 2016. Dictionnaire Japhug-chinois français, version 1.1,
Paris: projet Himalco.

Le jeu. 3 janv. 2019 à 11:02, Joo Ian <ian.joo at outlook.com> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I wonder if you know any language where the primary morpheme meaning 'to
> put' and the one meaning 'to let go (to seize holding something)' are the
> same.
> At this point I only know four: Mandarin (fàng), Korean (noh), Mongolian
> (tav), and White Hmong (tso).
> They are all spoken in East Asia (with White Hmong spreading out to SE
> Asia), so I wonder if this feature is unique to this area.
>
> Regards,
> Ian JOO (주이안)
> http://ianjoo.academia.edu

Guillaume Jacques