[Lingtyp] PUT=LET GO: An areal feature?

Frans Plank frans.plank at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 13:34:00 UTC 2019

What about English, German, all the rest?

She put the book on the table
Sie legte/stellte/setzte/hängte das Buch/Glas/Kaninchen/Bild in den Kühlschrank

Don’t all these placing verbs imply that you let go?
The synthetic causatives of the corresponding inchoative verbs (with the local dative rather than the directional accusative occurring with the same prepositions) would work, too, and perhaps even better:

Sie ließ das Buch … liegen/stehen/sitzen/hängen [after she put it there]

This is German:  I can gloss it for you if you want.  But you probably don’t, because this is not exactly what you’re after :-)

Season’s Greetings all the same!
Frans