[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 08:30:38 UTC 2019

I think one should not use "Dative subject" as many Indian languages either
use genitive or instrumental marked subject for experiential verbs.
Subjects of 'non-performative' activities generally take an oblique marking
in most of the South Asian languages. Perhaps 'oblique marked subjects'
would better fit the bill. These will cover both experiential and
non-experiential constructions such as 'out of control' which
prototypically take 'oblique marked subject' as in the following Hindi
sentence (1). Constructions where attributes of a person/thing are defined
also has the subject marked by 'oblique' or what has been termed 'dative'
(2, 3) as in Marathi sentences.
(1) *papa se              gaɽi    chuuʈ           gəii*
      papa abl/instr  train  leave (Vi)  GO.fem. pst
      'Papa missed the train' (out of control)         (Hindi)
(2) *tya-la          himmət a:he*
      3msg-dat    courage  be
      'He has courage'
(Marathi)
(3) * zha:ɖa-la    phula      a:het*
       tree-dat     flowers     be
      ' The tree has flowers.'                                     (Marathi)
Anvita
Prof. (Dr.) Anvita Abbi (Padma Shri)
*Adjunct Professor, Department of Linguistics*
*Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada*
*B.B. Borkar Chair of Comparative Literature, Goa University*

*Formerly: Professor and Chair of the Centre for Linguistics*
*Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India*
*www.andamanese.net* <http://www.andamanese.net/>