[Lingtyp] semantic map for '''râ'' in Iranian languages

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Tue Jan 22 05:10:59 UTC 2019

Dear Raheleh Izadifar,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a semantic map, but a classification
(taxonomy and visualization) of adposition supersenses has been developed
by Schneider et al. (2015, http://aclweb.org/anthology/W15-1612; primarily
for English prepositions). Obviously, some roles you mentioned are
non-prepositional in English, but here, argument roles as developed in
PropBank (https://propbank.github.io/, cf.
https://github.com/System-T/UniversalPropositions for languages other than
English; also cf. https://framenet.icsi.berkeley.edu for a very -- probably
too -- fine-grained role inventory) can be used. They certainly would
require adaptation, though.

Other than that, a very simple visualization can be created with common
spreadsheet software: one column per sense, one row per language variety,
cells with + and - ;) Office software allows to define filters for
highlighting in different colors depending on the value, and then you can
re-order rows and columns to demonstrate that and if certain functions or
language varieties are (cor)related -- or whatever you expect to find in
that data.

One ordering criterion for columns could be one of the common thematic
hierarchies, cf. Levin and Hovav (2005; or the ms. excerpt under
http://elies.rediris.es/elies11/cap51221.htm) for an overview.

Levin, B., & Rappaport Hovav, M. (2005). Thematic hierarchies in argument
realization. In Levin, B., & Rappaport Hovav, M. (eds.), *Argument
Realization* (pp. 154-185). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Cambridge.

Best,
Christian

Am Mo., 21. Jan. 2019 um 11:25 Uhr schrieb Raheleh Izadi Far <
raheleh.izadifar at gmail.com>:

> Dear all,
> I have been gathering data about the functions of the postposition ''râ"
> in one of Iranian languages called "Tâtic" which has some subgroups and
> dialects. The postposition "râ" has many functions in these dialects
> including benefactive, dative, place/time adverbials, experiencer subject,
> emphatic reflexive, accusative, reason, possession, commitative/
> instrumental, location/ goal. Now I want to arrange the data in a paper and
> I think it is best I use the semantic map as a model to show these
> functions in each dialect and I have some doubts about the arrangement of
> these functions in a semantic map.
> I just wanted to know if such a semantic map model has been suggested in
> previous literature for languages in general or for Iranian languages? And
> if anybody has alternative suggestions for this model.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Raheleh Izadifar
> PhD in linguistics, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan, Iran

Christian Chiarcos
Applied Computational Linguistics
Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt a. M.
60054 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

office: Robert-Mayer-Str. 10, #401b
mail: chiarcos at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
web: http://acoli.cs.uni-frankfurt.de