[Lingtyp] grammaticalized v grammaticized

paolo Ramat paolo.ramat at unipv.it
Sun Jun 9 16:35:42 UTC 2019

Dear Oesten,
there is no overlap with my posting !
In accordance with Lyons and Comrie you accept a strictly synchronic
viewpoint that starts from the extralinguistic existence of concepts: a
concept is grammaticalized / lexicalized if there is a grammatical category
/ lexical item that expresses it. Obviously, in such an approach no
question of change : the concept of 'hear' is *grammaticalized *inasmuch it
exists a verb meaning "to hear" and the concept of 'house' is
* lexicalized *inasmuch it exists a word meaning "house".
This is not the usual sense of 'grammatiCALization, though I can easily
accept what Lyons and Comrie say about the linguistic realization of
extralinguistic concepts.

Best,
Paolo

prof. dr. Paolo Ramat
 Università di Pavia (retired)
Istituto Universitario Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia) (retired)
'Academia Europaea'
'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member
piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
##39 0382 27027
347 044 98 44