[Lingtyp] grammaticalized v grammaticized

Aimée Lahaussois aimee.lahaussois at cnrs.fr
Mon Jun 10 06:42:00 UTC 2019

And for yet another usage of ‘grammatisation’: historians of linguistics use the term for the process of ‘equipping’ languages with tools such as grammars or dictionaries.  Sylvain Auroux was a big promoter of the concept.

https://www.persee.fr/doc/hel_0247-8897_1995_num_11_1_3396 <https://www.persee.fr/doc/hel_0247-8897_1995_num_11_1_3396>

Best regards,
Aimée

> On Jun 10, 2019, at 5:00 AM, Dan I. SLOBIN <slobin at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Just to muddy the waters a bit further, in the two volumes emerging from the 1988 Oregon conference (Traugott & Heine, 1991),
> Jim Matisoff went even further in his paper, "Areal and Universal Dimensions of Grammatization in Lahu (Matissof, 1991: 381):
> "The term grammaticalization, despite its heptasyllabic cacophony (the more concise grammaticization, or even grammatization
> would be preferable) represents one of the most important phenomena in diachronic linguistics.  Grammat(ic[al])ization is
> inherently a diachronic concept."
>
> Like Joan Bybee, I opted for grammaticization for its economy and elegance, as I saw it; I continue to use that form, avoiding
> the nuances that have emerged since between the erstwhile synonyms.
>
> I appreciate Bernhard's placing of the emerging distinction between grammaticalization and grammaticization in the context of
> a general psycholinguistic process, citing Bréal and Eve Clark who elaborated the point I made in an earlier posting.
>
> The editors of the Oregon conference volume accepted all three variants as titles of individual papers.
>
> Dan
>
> Elizabeth Closs Traugott & Bernd Heine (Eds.) (1991). Approaches to grammaticalization.  Vol. 1: Focus on theoretical and
> methodological issues. Vol. 2: Focus on types of grammatical markers.  Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
>
> James A. Matisoff (1991). Areal and universal dimensions of grammatization in Lahu.  Ibid., 383-454.

Aimée Lahaussois
Histoire des théories linguistiques
CNRS & Université Paris Diderot
01 57 27 57 78