[Lingtyp] Languages with connotations for 'left' and 'right'

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Mar 1 04:20:56 UTC 2019

On 01/03/2019 11:04, Randy J. LaPolla wrote:
> This is certainly the case in Old China, where left is east (the
> primary orientation in Chinese thought is to the south),
Interestingly, you get a different association in the Middle East, where
the primary orientation is to the east, and thus, the country-name Yemen
(located on the southern tip of the Arabian peninsula) is cognate with
the word for "right".

(Correspondingly, I have a vague recollection — but I could be wrong —
that, somewhere in Afroasiatic languages, there is colexification of
"left" and "cold", but I don't currently have library access or good
enough internet to be able to follow up on this.)

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816