[Lingtyp] Languages with connotations for 'left' and 'right'

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Fri Mar 1 04:43:36 UTC 2019

In Yucatec Maya, ‘south’ is derived from ‘right’, consonant with the mnemonic commonly used in this culture according to which one finds north and south by facing the direction of the rising sun and stretching out one’s arms. ‘East’ and ‘west’ etymologically refer to sunrise and sunset, while ‘north’ appears to be a loan from Nahuatl or some other central Mexican language. I’m not aware of any connotations associated with ‘left’ and ‘right’. In terms of reference frames, Yucatec is anything goes: egocentric, geocentric, and intrinsic frames are used pervasively. — Juergen