[Lingtyp] passive and tense

Uta Reinöhl uta.reinoehl at web.de
Sat Nov 9 12:13:05 UTC 2019

Peter,

I am aware that this idea is still wide-spread, but the putative
diachronic link between ergatives and passives, which primarily stems
from terminological imprecisions in early descriptions of the history of
ergativity in Indo-Iranian, has actually long been discarded for that
branch of languages. The patient orientation of the participle in
question when involving a transitive verb root does not make the orignal
resultative construction a passive. To name only some of the arguments
(and see the references and quite a few other studies below for
details): It is just as productively formed from intransitives, where it
has active interpretations. With transitives, it is not derived from an
active counterpart.

Uta

Haig, Geoffrey. 2008. Alignment change in Iranian languages. A
Construction Grammar approach. Berlin: de Gruyter.

Hock, Hans Heinrich. 1986. P-oriented construction in Sanskrit. In
Bhadriraju Krishnamurti, Colin P. Masica & Anjani Kumar Sinha (eds.),
Structure, convergence, diglossia in South Asian languages, 15–26.
Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.

Klaiman, Miriam H. 1978. Arguments against a passive origin of the IA
ergative, Chicago Linguistic Society: Papers from the 14th Regional
Meeting. 204–216.

Reinöhl, Uta. 2018. Review of Eystein Dahl & Krzysztof Stroński (eds.).
2016. Indo-Aryan ergativity in typological and diachronic perspective.
Journal of South Asian Languages and Linguistics 5(1). 111-121.

And a paper which is not out yet:

Casaretto, Antje, Gerrit J. Dimmendaal, Birgit Hellwig, Uta Reinöhl &
Gertrud Schneider-Blum. Accepted. Roots of ergativity in Africa (and
beyond). To appear in /Studies in African Linguistics/.