[Lingtyp] Plural markers on (already) plural pronouns

Ponrawee Prasertsom ponrawee.pra at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 16:01:20 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I have been looking at a number of Tai languages and found that in some of
these languages, plural pronouns can optionally take a plural marker
normally used on common nouns. For instance, in Shan (Southwestern Tai),
the third person plural pronoun *khau* can optionally take the plural
marker *cɯ(nai)*, viz. *khau cɯ(nai)--*at least according to Cushing 1871.

Assuming this analysis is correct (if it's not please kindly inform me),
I'm wondering how rare this is for pronouns? A quick lookup revealed that a
similar phenomenon called "double plural marking" is found in some
languages, but seems to be restricted to common nouns only. Does anyone
know of any other instances like this for pronouns in other languages?

Sources: Cushing, Josiah Nelson. Grammar of the Shan Language. Rangoon:
American Mission Press, 1871.

Best regards,

--
Ponrawee Prasertsom

Graduate Student
Department of Linguistics
Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University
Bangkok, Thailand