[Lingtyp] Plural markers on (already) plural pronouns

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Nov 15 17:15:08 UTC 2019

Dear Ponrawee and others,

Following up on Sebastian's posting (below):  In many dialects of
Malay/Indonesian, the word "orang" functions as a marker of plurality on
pronouns — either synchronically or diachronically. The base form of the
pronoun to which "orang" is added may itself be unspecified for number,
singular, or plural — in which latter case, the resulting construction
satisfies Ponwaree's request for double plural marking on pronouns.  For
example, in some eastern varieties of Malay, the 1st person plural
pronoun "kita" may take "orang", resulting, after reduction, in forms
such as "kitong", "katong", "torang", "tong" and others.  Sri Lankan
Malay "kithang", cited by Sebastian, is also one such form, so,
diachronically, "kithampada" is actually a case of triple plural marking.

Another source of multiple number marking on pronouns in
Malay/Indonesian is reduplication.  All pronouns may occasionally be
reduplicated (I don't quite understand the function of reduplication in
these cases, though in general, reduplication is often used to mark
plurality).  So, for example, in (mesolectal) Papuan Malay, the 3PL
pronoun "mereka" can be reduplicated, yielding "mereka-mereka",
resulting in double plural marking. Indeed, even double plural marked
pronouns such as those in the preceding paragraph may be reduplicated,
resulting in triple plural marking, e.g. (basilectal) Papuan Malay
"kitong-kitong".

David