[Lingtyp] Plural markers on (already) plural pronouns

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Mon Nov 18 08:37:40 UTC 2019

Dear Ponrawee, dear all,

This phenomenon is common in the two Amazonian languages I am working on.

In Teko (a.k.a Emerillon, Tupi, French Guiana), all three plural pronouns (1exl, 1incl, 2pl) can take the plural suffix –kom. This is illustrated and discussed in my grammar:
Rose, F. (2011). Grammaire de l’émérillon teko, une langue tupi-guarani de Guyane française (Louvain: Peeters).
See p. 112 & 113, ex 256 & 265, and p. 127-128.

In Mojeño Trinitario (Arawak, Bolivia), demonstratives consist of a demonstrative prefix p-, a pronominal formative, and a distance/epistemic suffix. The demonstratives that are based on a human.plural or non-human plural formative can take the plural suffix –ono too. Also, nouns can take two plural suffixes in a row, meaning “all types of”: ‘chañ-on-ono (from ‘chane ‘person’ with plural suffix –ono) ‘all types of people’.

Please let me know if you want me to send you the grammar or examples.

Best,
Françoise