[Lingtyp] undifferentiated interrogative words

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 12:23:23 UTC 2020

Dear Peter,
The Old Chinese word now pronounced [xɤ³⁵] (written 何 in characters and hé in the Pinyin Romanisation) could mean ‘what/which’ (何人 what person), ‘why’  (何必如此 why must be like this), ‘where’ (何往 where go), and also mark rhetorical questions (何樂而不為?why happy but not do (it) ). (Examples from the Han Dian (https://www.zdic.net/hans/何 <https://www.zdic.net/hans/%E4%BD%95>)). The cognate of this form is also found in many of the Tibeto-Burman languages with similar generality.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Randy

-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 48 Nanyang Avenue | Singapore 639818
http://randylapolla.info/'what'
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)
https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>