[Lingtyp] Morpheme or X0 "extraction"

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Aug 26 16:57:36 UTC 2020

But what is an "X0" element? We'd have to know this in order to test
Bruening's claim. Note that German "gelungen" is not a single morph (or
"morpheme"). It is a complex form "ge-lung-en".

There does not seem to be a clear comparative concept "phrase" (vs.
"non-phrasal element") that one could apply in the same way to all
languages.

Moreover, what exactly is "extraction"? It is fairly clear when we talk
about question-word fronting (or relative-pronoun fronting), but
"topic-fronting" occurs in a wide variety of ways.

So it seems that, as so often, we need better definitions of concepts
before we can rigorously test universal claims.

Martin

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Deutscher Platz 6
D-04103 Leipzig