[Lingtyp] Integration of postposed vowel-initial vs consonant-initial morphemes

Tim Zingler timzingler at unm.edu
Thu Aug 27 02:13:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

my dissertation looks at wordhood (or rather, the problems with it) cross-linguistically, and the facts you report are among the kind of phenomena that I was looking for in grammars. My sample contains 60 unrelated languages, but I do not recall a single grammar discussing such an issue at any length. So, I would venture to say that they are not commonly reported, although I should also highlight that theoretical approaches to prosodic wordhood will cite sporadic examples of this kind. (The dissertation should be done later this fall. I would be happy to send out the final version).

More generally, to the extent that the situation you describe falls within the domain of syllabification, that is a phenomenon that gets surprisingly little attention as an indicator of wordhood, both in grammars and in theoretical works.

Best,

Tim