[Lingtyp] “Rear=North” in Mainland Northeast Asia

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Dec 25 10:18:32 UTC 2020

Dear Ian (and all),

In the Middle East, forward/backwards maps on to the cardinal points at
a 90º rotation to what you describe for NE Asia.  In (poetic) Hebrew, E
is 'forward', while in Arabic, N is 'left', while 'Yemen' is,
etymologically, 'right' — in all three cases, you're facing east.

One might speculate that both systems are sun-oriented, the
Middle-Eastern system towards the highly-valued rising sun, and the NE
Asian system towards the location of the sun at midday.

David

On 25/12/2020 08:29, JOO, Ian [Student] wrote:
> Dear typologists,
>
> I am currently working on a doctoral project focusing on the areality
> of Mainland Northeast Asia (Korea, Mongolia, Northeast China, but
> *not* Japan, Russian Far East, or Southern/Western China).
> One of the interesting possible areal features of MNEA languages
> (Tuvan, Manchu, Korean, Mandarin, and Mongolian) that I’ve found is
> that these five languages, except Mandarin, can express “North” with
> the word meaning “rear; back; behind”. Please see the map:
>

> (Note that, in Mandarin, /bei/ 北 `North’ and /bei /背 `back; backside’
> differ only in tone, and are etymologically related)
> I’m curious if this polysemy exists in other areas as well, and if so,
> what would be the motivation? (Historical? Cultural? Religious?
> Cognitive? Climatic?)
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>

> /Disclaimer:/
>
> /This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are
> not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify
> the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University)
> immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
> or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and
> may be unlawful./
>
> /The University specifically denies any responsibility for the
> accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail
> Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the
> author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and
> the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or
> damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such
> information./

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091