[Lingtyp] “Rear=North” in Mainland Northeast Asia

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Fri Dec 25 12:22:02 UTC 2020

Dear Ian, dear all,

in the Finnic languages, ‘north’ (Modern Standard Finnish pohjoinen etc.) is etymologically connected with ‘bottom’ (Finnish pohja etc.), while ‘south’ is ‘front’ (Finnish etelä ‘south’, Estonian edel ‘southwest’ etc. from ete- ‘front’). This is usually explained with the fact that the houses or huts normally had their doors towards the south, to get as much light and warmth as possible. And then you can go on speculating with whether and how the prehistoric people of the North, living in teepee-like huts, saw the world as a giant dwelling, with the sky as its ceiling.

Best
Johanna

> JOO, Ian [Student] <ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk> kirjoitti 25.12.2020 kello 7.29:
>
> Dear typologists,
>
> I am currently working on a doctoral project focusing on the areality of Mainland Northeast Asia (Korea, Mongolia, Northeast China, but not Japan, Russian Far East, or Southern/Western China).
> One of the interesting possible areal features of MNEA languages (Tuvan, Manchu, Korean, Mandarin, and Mongolian) that I’ve found is that these five languages, except Mandarin, can express “North” with the word meaning “rear; back; behind”. Please see the map:
> <Attachment.tiff>
>
> (Note that, in Mandarin, bei 北 `North’ and bei 背 `back; backside’ differ only in tone, and are etymologically related)
> I’m curious if this polysemy exists in other areas as well, and if so, what would be the motivation? (Historical? Cultural? Religious? Cognitive? Climatic?)
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>

> Disclaimer:
>

> This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
> The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.

> Lingtyp mailing list
> Lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org <mailto:Lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)
Abteilung Finno-Ugristik
Campus AAKH Spitalgasse 2-4 Hof 7
A-1090 Wien
johanna.laakso at univie.ac.athttp://homepage.univie.ac.at/Johanna.Laakso/