[Lingtyp] “Rear=North” in Mainland Northeast Asia

Paolo Driussi paolo.driussi at uniud.it
Fri Dec 25 12:15:46 UTC 2020

Dear Joo

as far as I know, in Chinese culture, developed on the continent,South i the fundamental cardinal point, because you face the sun when considering the space around you. In our culture, on the other hand, that developed with fabulous sea travels, reference is made to the Polar Star, that helped sailors in their nocturnal routes. In representations this leads to have opposite references.

Paolo Driussi

Università degli Studi di Udine
DIUM
Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici e del Patrimonio Culturale

paolo.driussi at uniud.it<mailto:paolo.driussi at uniud.it>