[Lingtyp] morpheme -> empty morph -> epenthetic formative?

paolo Ramat paolo.ramat at unipv.it
Thu Feb 6 18:51:09 UTC 2020

There exists also the well-known case of the Latin -*sc- *suffix,
originally an inchoative suffix: *pallesco *"I become pale", *senesco *"I'm
getting old". In Italian we have *finisco, finisci, finisce *(1-3 Sg)
but *finiamo,
finite* (1 and 2 Pl. -- not **finisciamo, *finiscete *!*) *and,again,*
finiscono (*3rd Pl.). In French you get: *je,tu finis,  il/elle finit * and
in Plural *nous finissons* (not **finions*!), *vous finissez* (not *
*finiez *!),* ils/elles finissent.* Impf.* finiss- *for all the persons, in
Sg. as well as in Pl. The -*sc*- suffix has lost its original function and
has been incorporated into the end morpheme, more radically in French than
in Italian: cp. *fini-ss-ons* vs, *fini-amo. *Why in It. we have* fini-amo *and
no*t fini-sci-amo *remains unclear. Reasons of 'columnar accent' have been
suggested. At any rate -*sc*- can be considered an epenthetic, semantic
bleached element.
Best,
P.Rt.

prof. dr. Paolo Ramat
 Università di Pavia (retired)
Istituto Universitario Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia) (retired)
Accademia dei Lincei, Socio corrispondente
'Academia Europaea'
'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member
piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
##39 0382 27027
347 044 98 44