[Lingtyp] Name this category

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 07:15:21 UTC 2020

Hi.

In Bagvalal, East Caucasian, some particles are indexical of the gender of
the addressee. These particles apparently revolve on interactional
categories involving the addressee (interrogation, shared knowledge,
imperative) but are not (necessarily) referential in the sense indicated by
Francoise. As the Basque allocutive, they are on the addressee's side, and
not on the speaker's side as in Scott's examples, As far as I understand,
this also happens in other East Caucasian languages languages of the Andic
branch. See (Kibrik 2001: 174 - Bagvalinskij jazyk: grammatika, teksty,
slovari) - a very short but very informative one-page discussion.

Michael Daniel