[Lingtyp] non-agentive transitives

Hiroto Uchihara uchihara at buffalo.edu
Thu Jan 30 16:26:51 UTC 2020

Dear Ferenc,

Cherokee, an Iroquoian language, has agentive marking and some transitive
(or divalent) verbs take the patientive person markers, such as 'know',
'have', 'lose' or even 'throw' or 'buy'. One issue with Cherokee is that it
is hard to find morphosyntactic evidence to distinguish intransitive and
transitive verbs; so far I've only found one, that is whether the verb can
take the object-defocusing marker or not. Thus, one could potentially say
that these verbs are syntactically monovalent (but semantically divalent).

Another example is Teotitlán Zapotec, where agentive verbs undergo stem
alternation in the 1st persons but non-agentive verbs do not (Uchihara &
Gutiérrez in press). The majority of the non-agentive verbs are
intransitive but we have found two transitive verbs, 'miss' and 'need',
which do not undergo stem alternation and thus non-agentive.

There might be controversy over if Georgian has agentive marking, but I
know some divalent verbs take dative subject (such as 'love'), and not
nominative/ergative.

In fact Marianne Mithun states that it is not uncommon for transitive
subjects to show split marking based on agentivity in that Language paper
you cite (Mithun 1991: 517).

Hope this helps,
Hiroto

El jue., 30 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 09:28, Östen Dahl (oesten at ling.su.se)
escribió:

> But in addition to what Alexander mentions there is also a pattern in
> Russian that corresponds closely to what you can see in the examples from
> Caddoan. You can say for instance “Mne protivno” ‘I am disgusted’ and “Mne
> ėto nravitsja” ‘I like it’, where what corresponds to the English “I” is
> in the dative. It would not be treated as a subject in traditional
> descriptions of Russian, however. I think this pattern is quite common in
> European languages and maybe elsewhere.
>
>    - Östen

Dr. Hiroto Uchihara
Seminario de Lenguas Indígenas
Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Circuito Mario de la Cueva
Ciudad Universitaria, 04510, Ciudad de México.
Tel. Seminario:(+52)-(55)-5622-7489
Office: (+52)-(55)-5622-7250, Ext. 49223