[Lingtyp] non-agentive transitives

Joshua Birchall jtbirchall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:16:37 UTC 2020

Dear Ferenc,

In a classic paper, Tsunoda (1985) proposes a semantic hierarchy for case
splits with bivalent verbs:

EFFECTIVE (break, kick) > PERCEPTION (see, listen) > PURSUIT (search,
await) > KNOWLEDGE (know, forget) > FEELING (love, fear) >  RELATIONSHIP
(have, be similar to) > ABILITY (be good at, be capable of)

The further down the scale, the less likely a verb is to show a case
marking pattern typically associated with a transitive construction, such
as NOM-ACC or ERG-ABS. He downplays the role that agentivity has in splits
in case marking, stating that "it is always the affectedness of the
patient, rather than the volitionality/agency/agentivity of the agent, that
is crucial [in manifesting a transitive case frame]" (p. 393). He
illustrates this with an example from Nepali where 'hear' (non-agentive)
shows the same case marking pattern as a prototypical transitive
construction, whereas 'listen' (agentive) shows a different case marking
pattern. However, more recent works such as Witzlack-Makarevich & Seržant
(2017: 14-16), and references therein, show that agentivity can indeed be a
factor in some instances of differential argument marking, among others.

All the best,
Joshua

Tsunoda, T. (1985). Remarks on transitivity. *Journal of Linguistics*,
21(2), 385-396. doi:10.1017/S0022226700010318

Witzlack-Makarevich, A. & I. A. Seržant. (2017). Differential argument
marking: Patterns of variation. In Ilja A. Seržant & Alena
Witzlack-Makarevich (eds.),* Diachrony of differential argument marking*,
1–40. Berlin: Language Science Press. doi:
10.5281/zenodo.1228243