[Lingtyp] questions about adverbs

Kellen Parker van Dam kellenparker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:43:47 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Very interesting! This also looks incredibly similar to something which
I've described for Tangsa-Nocte (Northern Naga) varieties within
Tibeto-Burman.

I also was hesitant to call them intensifiers for the same reasons
mentioned. In the case of Tangsa-Noctem there is also a metrically
constricted reduplication of the modifier itself, but otherwise looks very
much like this same sort of thing. They are not commutable (although some
terms do share modifier shapes, e.g. *black, hard, rough* all have the most
common of the modifiers shared between them, and they are also generally
only found in more "basic" descriptive terms. An older write up of mine on
this is here
<https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/bitstream/1885/155280/4/Konneth-EtAl-2018-NEIL8.pdf#page=59>,
which is limited only to the colour terms, but they occur for a much wider
range of meanings than just that.

Quite happy to see these examples, thank you for sharing.

Kellen