[Lingtyp] questions about adverbs

Joey Lovestrand joeylovestrand at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:25:24 UTC 2020

There are similar "ideophones” in Chadic languages. Newman (1968) calls
them “adjectival intensifiers” in Hausa. Blench (2013) refers to “colour
intensifiers” in Mwaghavul. I treat them as a type of ideophone in Barayin
(Lovestrand 2019).

Note that “ideophones” in Chadic languages typically have adverb-like
morphosyntactic properties.

-Joey

Blench, R. (2013). Mwaghavul expressives. In H. Tourneux (Ed.), Topics in
Chadic Linguistics VII: papers from the 6th Biennial International
Colloquium on the Chadic Languages, Villejuif, September 22-23, 2011 (pp.
53–75). Cologne: Köppe.

Lovestrand, Joseph. (2019). Ideophones in Barayin. In *Topics in Chadic
Linguistics X: Papers from the 9th Biennial International Colloquium on the
Chadic Languages*. Cologne: Rüdiger Köppe Verlag.

Newman, P. (1968). Ideophones from a syntactic point of view. Journal of
West African Languages, 2, 107–117.

--
Joseph Lovestrand
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow