[Lingtyp] Citing text in European languages without translation

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 04:36:13 UTC 2020

Does this still happen? It's certainly true that in older scholarship written in English one often finds passages in French or German untranslated or conversely scholarship written in French or German with untranslated English, but the journals I have worked with in recent years insist on translation in such circumstances.
Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA MAE
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester