[Lingtyp] languages with just lexical contour tones / bitonal units?

Laura McPherson laura.emcpherson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:55:57 UTC 2020

Hi Adam,

I've been working on the tone system of Poko (Skou, PNG) where the language
appears to have 0, L, M, H as tonal primitives, but L and H only ever
surface as part of complex melodies (LM, MH, LH), which are generally
realized as contour tones on monosyllabic roots and as tonal sequences on
disyllabic roots. M can occur as a melody of its own. While LM or MH could
at some (abstract) level be analyzed as simply L and H, on the surface, the
M appears to be phonologically real (for instance, a docked floating H on a
0 root is surface-distinct from a MH contour).

This isn't exactly the same as what you're asking about, but it is another
case of complex melodies or tones appearing in a language without the more
basic melodies.

Best,
Laura