[Lingtyp] languages with just lexical contour tones / bitonal units?

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:16:53 UTC 2020

Another "catalogue" perspective.
Based on a sample of 2621 tone languages, we find that in languages with
only two tonal contrasts, after languages with only level tones (typically,
but not exclusively, H vs. L), it is more common to find a system
exclusively consisting of contour tones than it is to have one level and
one contour tone.[1] With systems having more than two contrasts, mixed
systems very quickly rule the roost, though H M L holds up well, and with 7
or more contrasts all systems are a mixture of level and contour tones
(though we note that there are only 145 such systems in the database with
tonal systems so elaborate, 5.5% of the whole).

level contour mixed n
2 72% 20% 8% 890
3 47% 9% 44% 570
4 5% 5% 90% 505
5 1% 4% 95% 291
6 0% 3% 97% 210
7 0% 0% 100% 67
8 0% 0% 100% 50
9 0% 0% 100% 18
10+ 0% 0% 100% 20

So it's not really a shock to learn of a language with only contour tones,
especially if it's a small tone system.

Looking just at the languages with only contour tones (10.4% of the
sample), 65% have only two contrasts, 19% have 3 contrasts, 9% have four,
5% have five, and just seven languages have six contrasts. These most
elaborate contour-only systems (with six contrasts) are all from southern
China; here the tones before the  '|' are found in syllables ending with a
vowel, glide, or nasal, and those after the '|' are those found with -p -t
-k or -ʔ; note that some level tones emerge in this part of the system,
with only Qiyang, Chadong, and the Liula dialect of Lakkia surviving.

Zhuang-Ningming HH- HM MM- ML MH MHM 343 32 35 43 54 21 | 44 55 11 Tai-Kadai
Qiyang HL LML MHL MHM MLHM HLML 231 342 442 453 2142 4232
Tibeto-Burman_Sinitic_Xiang
Sui-Sandong_Hezhai HL HM ML LM MH LML 121 42 32 53 35 13 | 55 35 33 32
Tai-Kadai
Zhuang-Jingxi HM ML LM MH MLH LMLM 54 31 2323 13 45 214 | 44 55 21 13
Tai-Kadai
Longyou HM ML LM MH H-H MLM 445 212 45 13 53 31 | 5 12
Tibeto-Burman_Sinitic_Wu
Chadong HM ML M-L LM MH H-H 53 31 21 23 35 45| 45 21 (short vowel); 31 23
(long vowel) Tai-Kadai
Lakkia-Liula ML LH MH MLH LML MHM 453 231ʔ 45 214~ 24 221 | 34 45
Tai-Kadai

-Mark

[1] Note: unlike Larry, I take the Blang 55 51 31 13 system as being H HL
ML LM, preferring more phonetic detail. I would not be adverse to 51 and 41
being analysed as HL and ML, for example, but I'm quite happy to lose L as
a primitive in the Blang system. As a result, my numbers and Larry's
numbers are not directly comparable.