[Lingtyp] orthography in formatted examples

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 15:15:28 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues

It seems to me that part of what Christian is alluding to is a failure on
the part of descriptive and documentary linguists to take transcription
(and orthographic representation) seriously and to come to some
agreements about how it should be handled in our various representational
schema. The "Leipzig glossing rules" don't discuss it and this lacuna gives
rise to conflicting practices, that Christian observes.

Epigraphers have thought long and hard about this matter and I would
recommend looking at their XML schema expressed in EpiDoc (
https://sourceforge.net/p/epidoc/wiki/Home/) to get some idea of how a
whole field can approach the matter of transcription -- they don't only
deal with punctuation, but also with things like "missing" elements,
corrections, spacing etc. The Discourse Functional Transcription (DFT)
mentioned by Jack Du Bois could be one basis for starting a proper
discussion going and getting some basic agreements among researchers in
place. They are sorely needed.

Best wishes,
Peter

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 14:59, Françoise Rose <francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> It seems most grammars of languages without a written tradition do use
> punctuation (although minimal) in the examples, if those are full
> sentences. Capitalization maybe less systematically, probably for the
> reason that Katharina has mentioned. “,” are important sometimes to get an
> idea of the prosody, and the syntactic structure, and I use “…” a lot to
> mark errors and hesitations.
>
> I don’t see the problem of punctuation symbols being also used in the
> gloss line: in different lines, the same symbols have different meanings
> (and a different distribution anyway: “.” Is always used after a word (i.e.
> before a space) in the example line and within the gloss in a gloss line).
> The only problem me or my students have been confronted with is when the
> “-“ is used in the orthography. If in the gloss line, I usually replace it
> with “_”, as in “grand_père”. If in the example line, I don’t have an ideal
> solution.
>
> Nice to have this discussion !
>
> Keep safe,
>
> Françoise

Prof Peter K. Austin
Humboldt Researcher, Frankfurt University (Nov 2019, Jan-March 2020)
Emeritus Professor in Field Linguistics, SOAS
Visiting Researcher, Oxford University
Foundation Editor, EL Publishing
Honorary Treasurer, Philological Society

Department of Linguistics, SOAS
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG
United Kingdom