[Lingtyp] orthography in formatted examples

Nikolaus Himmelmann n.himmelmann at uni-koeln.de
Wed Mar 25 17:43:08 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues

I believe that different punctuation conventions should be used in
accordance with the type of language a given example represents
(Christian is alluding to this possibility). Essentially, linguistic
examples in linguistics come from three different sources and ideally,
punctuation would be part of marking the distinction.

- originally written data (from a written source)
- transcribed data (from a recording of unscripted speech)
- invented data (including elicited data)

Representing orginally spoken data in the conventions of (European)
written languages ignores the fundamental differences that exist between
the two modalities and leads to many of the putatively untractable
problems such as defining "word".

Therefore, I make point of representing spoken language differently from
written and elicited/invented language. Not using punctuation and
capitalization but representing intonation units. Whether it is
worthwhile to invent a convention to distinguish the difference between
orginally written data and invented data is an issue that may merit
further debate.

Of course there are many additional special case problems such as
whether one should use punctuation in representing originally written
language where the original does not use punctuation.

Best regards
Nikolaus