[Lingtyp] Why cite non-Latin-script literature ONLY in Latin script?

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Tue Mar 31 07:38:34 UTC 2020

This is just one example of a pretty large set of requirements imposed
on authors by publishers which run against the interests of the readers
of the work and, in the last resort, of the scientific discipline. To me
it seems okay for any member of this list to articulate such a problem
and to ask for support by the rest of the list. In some cases,
discussion may show that the requirement is based on good reasons, so
there is nothing to be done about it. In other cases, the result may be
that a large majority of the discussants on this list shares the
original reporter's critical view. In such a case, that person should
have the right to say publicly that such and such was the majority
opinion in a discussion of the LingTyp list.

In my view, the case Ian Joo has raised belongs in the latter category.

Christian

--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4