[Lingtyp] Why cite non-Latin-script literature ONLY in Latin script?

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Mar 31 07:46:59 UTC 2020

Hi all,

The former MPI Leipzig Generic Style Rules
<https://www.eva.mpg.de/linguistics/past-research-resources/resources/generic-style-rules.html>,
which were made by linguists (Martin? Martin and others?) for linguists,
say the following:

If the title is not only in a different language, but also in a different
script, it may be given in the original script, in addition to the
transliteration (following it in parentheses). Likewise, the name of the
author may be given in the original script, as follows:

Plungian, Vladimir A. (Плунгян, Владимир А.) 2000. Obščaja morfologija:
Vvedenie v problematiku (Общая морфология: Введение в проблематику)
[General morphology: Introduction to the issues]. Moskva: URSS.

Chen, Shu-chuan (陳淑娟). 2013. Taibei Shezi fangyan de yuyin bianyi yu
bianhua (台北社子方 言的語音變異與變化) [The sound variation and change of Shezi dialect
in Taipei city]. Language and Linguistics 14(2). 371–408.

And here <https://langsci.github.io/gsr/GenericStyleRulesLangsci.pdf> is
the updated abbreviated version used by Language Science Press, which says
the same thing. It might be nice to let publishers know about the Generic
Style Rules, since having standards in such things can make life easier.

Best,

Eitan

Eitan Grossman
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
Chair, Department of Linguistics
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809
Fax: +972 2 588 1224