[Lingtyp] person markers derived from deictic adverbs

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:35:08 UTC 2020

Dear Vladimir,

Concerning the grammaticalization of cislocative markers (including deictic
adverbs, but not exclusively) to inverse markers, occurring in verb forms
with first or second person object (in particular 2>1, 3>2, 3>1 person
configurations), see for instance:

Jacques, Guillaume and Anton Antonov 2014. Direct/inverse systems. Language
and Linguistics Compass 8/7 (2014): 301–318, 10.1111/lnc3.1207
https://www.academia.edu/3619660/Direct-Inverse_systems

and the references therein.

Le lun. 4 mai 2020 à 16:21, Vladimir Panov <panovmeister at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I wonder if there are is any typological overview of the historical
> development of 1st and 2nd person non-agent markers from deictic adverbs
> ("here, toward the speaker" and "there, away from the speaker") and of the
> synchronic coexpression of these functions.
> I am only aware of one relatively uncontroversial case: the standard
> Italian *ci '*us' and *vi* 'you(pl)' seem to have derived from the Latin *ecce
> hic* "hither" and *ibi* 'there', respectively.
>
> Best,
> Vladimir

Guillaume Jacques
CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO