[Lingtyp] Job opportunity: PhD or postdoc (University of Zurich), semantic roles acquisition

manuel.widmer at uzh.ch manuel.widmer at uzh.ch
Mon May 25 10:42:59 UTC 2020

PhD or Postdoc Position in Semantic Roles Acquisition

With the launch of a new ‘NCCR Evolving Language’ (www.evolvinglanguage.ch), which involves nearly 40 different research groups from a large variety of disciplines across Switzerland, we seek to fill a PhD or postdoc position at the University of Zurich for a four-year project starting in September 2020, or at the selected candidate’s convenience.

Our goal is to explore the acquisition of semantic roles and argument structure in longitudinal corpora of maximally diverse languages (https://www.acqdiv.uzh.ch) using novel machine learning and statistical modeling approaches. The work is embedded in a larger transdisciplinary project on the ontogeny and phylogeny of participant roles in language and event cognition.

The successful candidate will become part of a larger interdisciplinary team of scientists under the leadership of Profs. Balthasar Bickel (Comparative Language Science, University of Zurich), Moritz Daum (Developmental Psychology, University of Zurich), and Klaus Zuberbühler (Cognitive Biology, University of Neuchâtel), closely collaborating with Profs. Paola Merlo (Computational Linguistics, University of Geneva) and Sabine Stoll (Comparative First Language Acquisition, University of Zurich). The primary work place will be in Zurich but the successful candidate is expected to also spend time in Geneva.

Applicants should have a Master’s or PhD degree in linguistics, psycholinguistics, and/or computational linguistics, excellent computational and statistical skills, and good command of academic English.

For consideration please compile the following documents into a single PDF labelled ‘WPSemanticRoles-YourSurname-Position.pdf’ (where Position is either “PhD” or “Postdoc”) and send to jobs at evolvinglanguage.ch:
- a cover letter (motivation and qualifications, 2 pages max);
- curriculum vitae;
- contacts of three referees;
- writing sample (2 pages max, e.g. abstracts);
- for PhD applications also transcripts of bachelor’s and master’s courses;
- for Postdoc applications also a publication list

The NCCR places great emphasis on gender balance; we particularly encourage women to apply.
The positions are available until filled but we start reviewing applications June 22, 2020.
For questions contact balthasar.bickel at uzh.ch.

Dr. Manuel Widmer
Head of Administration
NCCR Evolving Language