[Lingtyp] NP + PP construction

Seino van Breugel seinobreugel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 08:21:02 UTC 2020

Dear All,
In Atong (Tibeto-Burman, Northeast India and Bangladesh) nominal predicates
are quite normal. In example (1), the noun India functions as the head of a
noun phrase, which in turn functions as a predicate. The semantic role of
the noun phrase is that of Location, which is indicated in Atong by the
locative phrasal enclitic <*=chi*> (LOC). The noun phrase also carried the
focus enclitic <*=an*> (FOC). THe phrase can be easily recognised as being
a predicate because of the predicate enclitic <*=ok*> (COS), indicating a
change of state. Note that nominal predicates do not always need to carry a
predicate enclitic.

(1)           te•ewdo Indiachianok

te•ew   =do   {[India] =chi  =an} =ok

now     =top    India   =loc =foc =cos

‘Now, [they are] back in India.’

In example (2), the noun *song* 'village' is the head of a phrase that is
used as a predicate of a modifying clause. This phrase carries four phrasal
enclitics, viz. the locative <=*chi>, *the attributive *<=gaba>,* the
plural <*=darang*> and the topic <*=do*>.

(2)

ning

song

=chi

=gaba

=darang

=do

nem

=t(h)ok

=aidonga

1pl/excl

village

=loc

=attr

=pl

=top

good

=everyone

=prog
'We who [are] in the village are all doing well.'

As can be seen in the table below, nominal predicates can be of different
semantic roles,such as  Direction (nr 3), Source (nr 4), Possessor (nr 5)
or Beneficiary (nr 6). MOB=mobilitative (marking a Direction here),
GEN=genitive (marking a Possessor here), GOAL=the goal enclitic (marking a
Beneficiary here)

*2*

*so**ng=**sa**ng=**gaba*

village=mob=relational

‘those who go to the village’

*4*

*ha**•**b**y**ri=sa**ng=**m**yng=**gaba*

hills=mob=gen=relational

‘those who come back from the hills’

*5*

*nono=m**yng**=gaba*

younger.sister=gen=relational

‘things that belong to my younger sister’

*6*

*nono=na=gaba*

yonger.sister=goal=relational

‘things for my younger sister’

Kind regards,
Dr. Seino van Breugel
Assistant Professor
United International College, Zhuhai, China
https://independent.academia.edu/SeinovanBreugel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHfiZwqyWC7HfZUAQ1RH1ew