[Lingtyp] NP + PP construction

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:17:54 UTC 2020

Ah, I think you could say "Up with your hands!". Likewise "Shirt(s) off!" and "Off with your shirt(s)!". (Or shoes, glasses, etc.)

I think the relevant semantic constraints are as follows:

The [PP with your N] construction implies that (in the speaker's view) the hearer's N doesn't belong in its current position. E.g., "Up with your hands!" could only be said if the hearer has their hands in an inappropriate place (not if you just arbitrarily want someone to raise their hands).

The [N PP] construction can only be used in the context of enforcing a rule. Thus, e.g., "Shoes off!" can only be said in a situation where there is a rule against wearing shoes (and not just because the speaker doesn't like the hearer's shoes). (This doesn't quite work with "Hands up!", but then again, this phrase is lexicalised with all sorts of presuppositions about the presence of a gun etc., so we can't conclude much from it.)

Siva